Posted by: wrcnf1 | April 13, 2009

Back-to-back wins for Button and Brawn

Jenson Button and Brawn GP made it 2 wins from 2 races when Button was awarded the victory after the Malaysian GP was abandoned due to heavy rain. BMW’s Nick Heidfeld took second ahead of Toyota’s Timo Glock who seemed to have had second place wrapped up but was demoted to third upon recalculation of laps after abandonment.

The 5pm race started with Rosberg getting a flying start as he leapt from fourth on the grid to lead the race from Toyota’s Jarno Trulli as Button slipped down the order. This lasted until the first round of pit stops as Button again showed the pace of the Brawn cars as he comfortably opened up a gap on the rest of the field.

As Button pulled away, the rest of the pack provided some exciting action proving that the new rules were starting to make an impact. The wheel to wheel racing between Webber and Hamilton was especially good.

With rain clouds looming, it was clear that race strategy and tyre selection was going to be even more important in the outcome of this race. On lap 18 without a single drop of rain on the track, Ferrari took a gamble and placed Raikkonen on wet tyres which soon went ‘off’ even though Kimi tried his best to baby them around the track.The rain soon came but it was a little too late for Kimi and Ferrari to make full use of them as the other drivers dived into the pits for wets as well. While Ferrari gambled on wets early, Toyota placed Glock on intermediates as others went with wets. This paid off as the track was not wet enough for the wets but as Glock’s fast laps showed, conditions were perfect for intermediates.  This propelled Glock to second place quickly as he was seconds per lap faster than everyone else.

Soon the rain came at full blast and everyone who had eventually followed Glock onto the ‘inters’ had to change to extreme wets and by lap 31 or 32 the saftey car was called just after Button had got back to the front. Soon after the race was stopped and the cars and mechanics were on the track. Within minutes Mark Webber was found walking the grid talking the drivers and after nearly an houhad passed, the race was called off leaving Button on the top step of the podium again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: